Updated: Nov 10
Calling all comfort foods!
Mac and cheese may be the best comfort food that adults and kids will both enjoy. This is a great side dish with any meal or can be a meal in its own with some optional adders.
A2 cheese and dairy products make this a great option for those that are prone to GI discomfort with regular dairy as they do not have the A1 beta-casein protein that when digested produces a peptide called beta-casmorphin-7 which is known cause of this discomfort. **A2 cheese does still contain lactose and may not be ideal if you are lactose intolerant or have a dairy allergy**
Amazing A2 Baked Mac and Cheese
Prep time about 30 minutes. Serves 6 – 8 but perfect for less as leftovers are a must.
1 lb. Elbow Pasta (can sub any pasta)
4 Cups A2 Cheddar Cheese (shredded) - Dad’s Classic Cheddar
3 Cups A2 Mozzarella Cheese (shredded) – Mootime Mozzarella
1 Full Stick of Butter (1/2 cup)
½ Cup All Purpose Flour
1 ½ Cups A2 Whole Milk (can sub 2%)
2 ½ Cups A2 Half and Half (can sub heavy cream)
½ Tbsp. Kosher Salt (any salt will do)
½ Tsp. Course Black Pepper
½ Tsp. Paprika
Optional Seasoning Adders:
garlic powder, onions powder, fresh chopped basil, cayenne pepper, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes. Add to your taste.
1. Grease a 9”x13” baking dish. (I use the inside of the butter wrapper)
2. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees F
3. Bring water to boil in large pot (salt optional)
***ensure pot is large enough to later add cheese sauce mix***
4. Combine shredded A2 cheeses and separate into 3 piles.
(About 3 cups for sauce mix and 2 cups for other 2 piles)
5. Combine spices into bowl and set aside to have ready for later
6. Once boiling add pasta and cook till al dente and drain and drizzle with olive oil and mix so that pasta does not stick. *Do not overcook as pasta will cook more while in oven*
7. In large sauce pan or skillet melt butter over medium to medium low heat and sprinkle in flour whisking constantly until completely mixed.
8. Slowly pour in the half and half whisking constantly
9. Slowly pour in the whole milk and continue whisking until thickened
10.Remove from heat and add spices and half of sauce mix A2 cheese pile stirring until cheese is melted and then add rest of sauce mix A2 cheese pile again stirring until melted.
11. In large pot used earlier combine cheese sauce mix and pasta and mix thoroughly.
***Now is the time to add any of the cooked dish adders***
12. Pour half of the pasta and cheese mix into the greased baking dish and top with one of the remaining piles of shredded cheese.
13. Pour remaining pasta and cheese mix on top of the shredded cheese and add remaining pile of shredded cheese on top of that.
14. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
***for crispier top broil for 3 – 4 minutes until cheese is browning***